Whirlpool-Maytag refrigerators Problems

There is a major problem with Whirlpool-Maytag Refrigerators

Problem:  Lights flashing, all cooling appears normal, ice maker flap continually opens and shuts, water and ice dispense buttons not operational. Lots of people have seen this  issue.  The problem is with the Control Board. Whirlpool is aware of the problem but is no longer making the Control Board. They claim it is back ordered until 2020.  I was pissed at the response I received when I talked to their customer service. Really, I was mad as Hell. The company should  support the refrigerators they sell, not force people into buying a  new Refrigerator.  Again, no one has this part and the company refuses to provide the parts needed for a commonly occurring issue which they are well aware of.

Fix: I did a lot of research on the internet and on blogs and discovered that the capacitors on the board is the problem. A Capacitor only cost 2 dollars and can be bought at any Radio Shack. The board is located on the back of most refrigerators and it only took me 15 minutes to soder and replace 3 capacitors. Refrigerator is now running like it is brand new. Note: 2 years ago the company would charge 200 dollars for the entire control board. If you hired someone to do it, add 60 dollars to the total cost.

Another note: Last year the display stop working on my Maytag dishwasher. The part cost $125.00 dollars. I installed it and avoided labor charges.  Both the dishwasher and refrigerator are both 6 years old.

I am beginning to think that companies are no longer making products to last. I believe that they are forcing folks to buy new appliances after 6 years or forcing consumers to pay for costly repair on these products.  When you experience problems with your appliances I recommend using Google, You tube, Amazon Blogs or any major search engine first. See what other people have done to resolve the issue.  Three years ago 90% of the people with this problem paid for the parts and service. The other 10% did the research and told the company that this was a common issue and got free parts and labor. Yes, the company paid to have it repaired but now their strategy is to force people to buy costly new refrigerators.

Advertisements

About theunspokentruth12

Dedicated to sharing knowledge, networking and building effective relationships within our community.
This entry was posted in Business and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Whirlpool-Maytag refrigerators Problems

  1. WordPress family. I just wanted to take the time to update this post. Today in the mail i received the High voltage bd referenced in the post. Initially the company stated that the bd would not be available until 2020, which basically meant they were forcing people to buy a new refrigerator.
    Well maybe my post, or maybe more people decided to complain. Either way they corrected the issue and now have the board.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s